Wednesday, July 23, 2008

2 Month Check-Up



On Tuesday Gilbert and I took Eva for her 2-month checkup. She now weighs 10 lbs 9 ozs and is 22.5 inches long. She is in the 50th percentile for both weight and length.

She also received her first round of immunizations. She got 3 shots and an oral medication. She screamed after the shots, but after a few minutes was calm enough to fall asleep. She was a little out of sorts all evening, but when she woke up for her 2:30AM feeding, she seemed to be back to her normal self.

I know there are a lot of different thoughts when it comes to immunizations. Some people go the traditional route, others look at a delayed schedule and then others make the choice not to immunize at all.

After speaking with our pediatrician, we have decided to go the traditional route with immunizations. She was able to point out flaws in some of the recent studies that link autism to immunizations and was also able to dispel the thought that your child should only be introduced to so many antigens at a time. Antigens are in the air we breathe (pollen) and the food we eat. A case of strep throat can expose a child to 25-50 antigens! Years ago when everyone was required to get the polio vaccine, there were over 150 antigens in that one vaccine!

The diseases that these vaccinations protect against can be deadly. And I love my daughter way too much to take any risks.


1 comment:

Tammi said...

That is something every parent must decide for their family. We are on a delayed schedule with the boys. I did a lot of research before deciding that way and our ped. in Oklahoma supported my decision. I don't preach my opinions on the matter. It's none of my business what you (general you) do with your kids just like it's none of yours what I do with mine. Vaccines are such a huge debate and it really shouldn't be. My 2 cents. :)

How is the rest of your week going?

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker