Monday, January 19, 2009

Pregnancy & Baby Post #1

I think we are in another baby boom! I counted the other day and I know 8 women who are expecting right now - many of them with their first baby. So I thought that I would start writing blogs about pregnancy and new baby. My sister was a huge source of information during my pregnancy and I wanted to pass along much of that information, as well as things I learned myself.
This first blog will tackle pregnancy.

Eating & Exercise
You only need to consume 200 extra calories when pregnant - so really you only need to add in an extra (healthy) snack. People will try to force feed you and tell you to have more because "you are eating for 2". You are - but the baby really doesn't need an entire gallon of ice cream. The exception to the rule comes in the first month or so when you are not feeling well. At this point you should eat whatever makes you feel better - as long as you know it is time limited!
Exercise really helped me deal with all the body changes. Everyone knows that exercise makes you feel better about yourself, and you need all of those feel good hormones as you watch your body expand! I continued most of my pre-pregnancy workout for a good chunk of my pregnancy. Walk, run, spin, swim - just get your body moving!
Make sure you talk to your doctor about their list of dos and don'ts. My doctor was very liberal with me and working out. I even continued ab exercises on a stability ball after my 5th month.

Clothing
There is some really cute and really expensive maternity wear out there. I loved my Bella Band. I was able to wear my regular jeans into my 5th month and was able to get back into them sooner. I also really liked wearing it right after I had Eva. It made me feel like I had some support on my stomach - which felt like a bowl of jelly!
I also had a lot of long regular shirts that I wore throughout my pregnancy and even now (which cover the lower tummy area - which is still not back to normal!!).
I wouldn't recommend spending a lot on maternity clothes with the exception of jeans. Find a really awesome pair that make you feel great. I loved my Babystyle jeans.
And as much as you might be excited to shop for maternity clothes, wait until you need them. Every women carries their baby differently, so something might look good on you when you have a little belly, but look horrible when you are further along.

Reading Material
I enjoyed Fit Pregnancy and Baby and Newborn magazines. There are also a TON of books out there. Just remember the Internet is full of information and it is free and sometimes easier to find during a google search than in a book!
If you are planning on nursing, I would recommend attending a class. Books are okay - but I found the class we attended very helpful. Plus your spouse can attend with you.

Memories
No matter how gross you might think you look, make sure you take a picture of your belly every month. I promise that you will want to look back and remember the different stages! And if your finances allow, find a good photographer to take belly shots. Mine were done in the 8th month (when I felt like a whale!), but the pictures turned out great and I love that we had them done.

3 comments:

Megan said...

Love it! You are my first go-to source for all things baby knowledge related. :) I got a bella band and absolutely love it already. Did the doctor's office help you sign up for classes, or did you go directly through Seton?

The Aguilars said...

Lynn the nurse practioner has a child birth class that is great if you are planning on going through labor. And Special Addition is where I went for the breastfeeding class. They are located right near Seton. They have a website that details the class and times.

Megan said...

Cool! Thanks hon!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker