Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year

I can't believe how fast 2008 flew by. 2 big events occurred this past year - the birth of Eva-Renee and our move to Indiana. It is hard for me to believe that 1 year ago today I was pregnant and counting down the days until my ultrasound so that we could know for sure that we were having a girl. I would have never thought a year ago today that Gilbert and I would pack up all our belongings and leave our first home together for Indiana. I also never thought that we would be living with family for close to 3 months waiting for our house to sell!
It would be so easy for me to focus on what didn't happen in 2008, but I find more hope in looking at all our blessings.
Gilbert and I truly are blessed to have such a happy, healthy daughter. Eva has been such a ray of light for us and has brought us closer together than I ever thought imaginable. Being a Mom has REALLY changed me - but for the better. I no longer get my $150 haircuts and color or go shopping at Nordstrom on a regular basis. My shoe collection has not seen an addition in quite some time and we haven't been out to any fancy restaurants in months. And the crazy thing is...I don't miss it. I am so happy spending time with Eva that I don't care so much about having the latest and greatest. She is my passion and being a good mother and a good role model for her is my number 1 priority.
We are both blessed to be employed right now. Gilbert really likes his new job and I am still enjoying working from home. Neither of us know what the future will bring, but we are grateful that we have good jobs and good health benefits.
We are blessed with wonderful and supportive families. This weekend we will be moving in with my parents to give Amy and Cory a chance to regroup and get their house ready for the new baby. As difficult as it has been for everyone, we are thankful that we do have someplace to stay. There is no way that Gilbert and I could afford to rent an apartment along with our mortgage in Texas - so staying with family has really been a blessing. I know that our move was really hard on Gilbert's family, but they have been very encouraging and supportive. We hope that Gilbert has a chance in the next few weeks to go and visit. I know how hard it is to be away from family...
If I wanted to dwell, I am sure I could think of plenty of things that I would have liked to do differently or things that I wished had a different outcome. But I want to focus on the positive from last year and dream of the good things to come this year. My only resolution is to look at the glass half full - to focus on all the good in my life - there is a lot of it!
Happy 2009!

No comments:

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker