Thursday, November 13, 2008

New Mom Advice

Recently I re-connected with a high school friend on facebook. She is expecting and due in June. She asked me how my pregnancy was and it got me thinking about what life was like just a year ago.
One thing any pregnant woman/new mom will tell you is that they get TONS of advice or suggestions. Much of which they don't ask for. I have 3 little pieces of advice.
First - enjoy every second of your pregnancy. Even the not so fun stuff of watching your belly expand and your monthly weigh-ins at the doctor. People are nicer to pregnant women - so love every minute of the attention. Because as soon as the baby arrives, it will no longer be about you!
Second - be true to yourself and be flexible. When it comes down to what birthing experience you want, breast or bottle feeding, cry it out, co-sleeping, etc. go with what you know if best for you and for your baby and be willing to let certain ideals go. I can't tell you how many times I thought about these sorts of issues before I had Eva, but changed my mind after she was born. There is not 1 way to parent and no 1 book (or person) has all the answers.
Ask for advice and listen to what other say, but at the end of the day you have to feel good about your decisions.
And a third piece of advice - take another Mom shopping with you or ask for their opinions when you are picking out carseats, strollers, etc. They will be able to tell and show you things you never thought of. That $500 stroller isn't always the best - especially if it doesn't have a snacktray or cupholder:)

No comments:

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker