Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Peaches for You, Peaches for Me

I am not a huge fruit person, but I am happy that the few fruits that I actually like are in season. Gilbert loves my peach and blueberry cobbler, but I wanted to try something new, so I searched Food Network's library and found a new recipe by my favorite Southern Cook (besides my Mom), Paula Deen. Here is the receipe - I cut it in half - so my version will make 6 servings.
The Lady's Peach Shortcake - Paula Deen
Shortcakes
2 cups bisquick
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon melted butter
3/4 teaspoon almond flavoring
Peaches
3-4 peaches
Fruit Fresh (fruit preservative)
Spash warm water
3/4 cup sugar
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

To make the shortcakes, mix the bisquick, sugar, milk, butter and almond flavoring in a medium size bowl and pour into 6 muffin tins. (You can grease them, but I used cupcake paper things). Bake for 15-20 minutes until done and remove from oven. Cool for 5 minutes and pop out of pan.
Peel, core and slice the peaches. Immediately sprinkle with Fruit Fresh to prevent peaches from turing dark. Add a splash of warm water to the peaches to moisten. Stir sugar into the peaches, cover and refrigerate until ready to use. (The peaches kept very well over night. Just use plenty of the preservative)
When you are ready to eat, cut the muffin in half. You can either make a sandwhich or put the muffin halves side by side. Layer some vanilla ice cream, then peaches, then whipped cream. (I never said this was a healthy snack!!)
Here are some pics. Mine was the sanwhich and Gilbert's is the side by side with that nasty Redi Whip!! They are delicious and a great way to enjoy peaches in the summer!!
Yum Yum!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That looks delicious. Now I'm craving peach. Thanks. :p

-JC

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker